Monday 7 May 2012

006 Micron (Combinator)

In this Combinator patch I try to reproduce the Set-up architecture of the Alesis Micron virtual analog synth which I had up until 2010 and then parted company with. In fact, the little Micron was the subject of my first blog - Alesis Micron - Patch a Day and it's sale ended that particular blog. I still regret selling it from time to time as it's a great synth, although a little awkward to program.

A Set-up on the Micron comprises a performance patch, such as the lower octaves play a bassline, the middle octaves a pad and the upper octaves an arpeggiator (although the Set-up is flexible in terms of mapping, much like the Combinator). The Micron is a multi-timbral three oscillator synth of some power and therefore I should possibly have used Thor patches for the synths but to keep CPU levels down I have gone with the trusty Subtractor throughout. I have tried to stay true to the Micron when it comes to FX however with two separate FX units, FX1 for an insert effect and FX2 for a send effect.

The front panel rotaries and buttons are reserved for FX duties, if you want to tweak the synth parameters you'll have to dig under the hood a little. I ran out of buttons and was keen to include a front panel control for turning the Arp Hold on and off so I assigned this to the mod wheel.

The Combinator:

Micron.cmb

The Skin:

No comments:

Post a Comment